Hope Lodge is a motel-like residence on the Clairmont Campus of Emory University that houses cancer patients who are undergoing any type of out-patient treatment. Each patient shares a suite with a family member or significant other who serves as a care provider. It is located at 1552 Shoup Court which puts it behind the activity center at the Clairmont Campus.
The Emory Catholic center has been providing a monthly dinner for the residents since October 2006. The Catholic Center funds the dinner and volunteers from the Emory Catholic community assist in meal preparation, serving, and cleaning up after dinner.
We begin at 4:00 PM and the meal is served at 6:00 PM. We are usually finished by 7:00 PM. You can come at either 4:00 PM to help with meal prep and stay through dinner and clean up or you can come at 5:15 PM to help set up and serve, stay for dinner and help clean up.What do the volunteers do? It varies depending upon the meal, but it can include any or all of the following:
- Washing and cutting fresh vegetables for salad;
- Wrapping bread for heating;
- Monitoring the cooking of pasta or rice for the meal;
- Preparing fruit for a cooked dessert;
- Cutting pre-prepared dessert into serving size pieces;
- Setting up the serving station with disposable plates;
- Setting up the beverage station with ice and tea or lemonade;
- Serving dessert, scooping ice cream;
- Rinsing all serving pans and loading them into the dishwasher;
- Taking out the trash, wiping off tables; etc.
Eating with the residents is encouraged and volunteers have found this to be a great experience! Both the food and the company are enjoyable.
We are in need of 4 volunteers each month! If you are interested in volunteering, please contact Helen O'Shea at email@example.com. Please understand that it is very important that you show up if you sign up. If your plans change, please contact us so we can find a substitute. Also, it is most important that you do not come if you are sick or have symptoms of any potential illness. The patients are often immune suppressed and are very susceptible to viruses and bacteria.